Tuesday 16 April 2013

Learning and Problems with Endnote

Endnote. Now i am going to be honest and just say that i hate it.

It has caused me troubles since downloading it and i will be ever so grateful after this task that i never have to use it again!!!!

The first problem i had was downloading it. Once it was downloaded it kept asking me for a licensing key that i obviously didn't have. After closing it and opening it a few times with the same problem i then learnt that you had to drag it onto the desk top to open it with out it requesting the licensing key.

Once i got it opened it was quite simple how to create a reference (This is explained in previous posts). You could pick what style referencing you wanted and what you were referencing for it to be made correctly.

Myself along with Josie, who is a member of my group both have Mac laptops. These mac laptops made it impossible for us to use Endnote note on word. Apparently on windows systems endnote would just pop up as a tab on there word documents but not for us! This has caused a large amount of problems for my screen cast as i cannot demonstrate how to import citations and references from endnote to word, which is part of the task! At this point I'm at a bit of a loss and i am thinking I'm going to have to do two screen casts. Brennan who is another member of my group has a windows system and i think i will have to do a small screen cast on his computer at uni tomorrow and upload that. As there is no way i can use it in conjunction with word on my computer.

I understand for this task we needed to use Endnote to demonstrate how to use a referencing tool but when i reference i just type into Google 'referencing tool'. This search comes up with hundreds of very simple and easy to use tools that i don't need to download. ALOT easier than fighting with endnote. When doing it online like this i can just simply copy and paste, instead of having to export and import.

I would never use Endnote again in the future as it is to hard to use and is not user friendly. I also wouldn't use it as there are many online free referencing tools that do the job with out all the troubles. I do not plan on using Endnote in my career as a teacher.  


No comments:

Post a Comment